[ut2004] 64 bit client problems with downloads

Tom Emerson osnut at pacbell.net
Sat Nov 20 18:10:46 EST 2004

On Friday 19 November 2004 10:09 pm, Ryan C. Gordon wrote:
> There's a lot more involved than just reading bytes from a socket [...]

> [...] it's both inaccurate and impolite to show up and tell someone
> that their bugs aren't "rocket science". [...]

Well, it wasn't my intention to be rude, but from what you're saying it sounds
like it is a problem of perception -- namely, mine :)

I perceive a "percentage complete" calculation to be relatively simple, and
that debugging it would take no more effort than to set a breakpoint on the
final result > 100.0 and "take a look" at the underlying variables at that
point, then backtrack to find out why they are incorrect.  Either the
calculation is incorrect or the values passed to the routine are bogus.  I
find it hard to imagine how the calculation would be "wrong", so that leaves
incorrect inputs [the "GIGO" principle]

What I gather you're saying is that figuring out why the numbers passed to the
routine are "wrong" is a bit harder than merely inspecting memory -- this is
just a guess, but perhaps you are passing a 32-bit pointer to a routine that
internally uses a 64-bit pointer and "whatever" resides in memory just prior
to the pointer doesn't cause the treated-as-64-bit pointer to point outside
of allocated memory.  [if it did, well, you'd have caught that a long time
ago I'd imagine ;) ]  Of course, the fact that the routine is using a 64-bit
pointer could be totally unexpected because when compiled for 32 bits, it
would be using a 32-bit pointer "as expected", and the program wouldn't
exhibit the incorrect behavior.

The other point to this thread is "why does this bug exist in the first
place?"  An accountant once told me "if you're off by a penny, you might as
well be off by a million dollars" -- the fact that the program reaches 100%
AND THEN STARTS OVER should have been a "red flag" for the whole download
process -- something is causing the program to retry the download EVERY TIME,
and it may be as simple as forgetting to "close" the file initially
downloaded, so it "never" validates properly from the redirected host/server
(yeah, I'm guessing again :) but so long as I'm guessing, if it is indeed
related to whether or not the file is "closed" properly, perhaps there is a
race condition where you [or the "virtual machine"] believe the file to be
closed, but the "real" machine hasn't done that yet...)