[ut2004] Voip in UT2004 with Nforce2

Rick B zajelo3 at cfl.rr.com
Sat Nov 6 13:37:57 EST 2004

Gian Paolo Mureddu wrote:

> Rick B wrote:
>
>> Gian Paolo Mureddu wrote:

>>> I rather use alsamixer for finetuning my sound settings (I don't
>>> have an nForce2, but I do have a VIA card which acts quite similar
>>> to one with ALSA). In alsamixer make sure the microphone is the only
>>> recording interface there will be various (like capture, line,
>>> phone, etc, etc), just make sure you select the mic and press the
>>> spacebar to select it, and try to toggle off (pressing the barspace)
>>> other interfaces you may have. The only one you will never be able
>>> to toggle off is capture.
>>

>> Great!! It works! I just had to go through and turn off the unneeded
>> things like Gian said. At first it didn't work then I turned capture
>> on and that did the trick. Just in case someone reads this having
>> similar problems, it's everything off except for Mic,Pcm and Capture.
>> Thanks guys.
>>
>>                Rick B
>>

> Glad you have it working now ;)

Although I've found that you can't use an .openalrc file telling it to
use alsa, like so:

(define speaker-num 2)
(define devices '(alsa))
(define alsa-out-device "hw:0,0")
(define alsa-in-device "hw:0,0")

This is on the Nforce2 chipset. I've tried different "hw:0,0" variables
but they don't work.  The .openalrc file gave me about a 5 fps boost,
but I can live without it for voip.

                     Rick B