[ut2004] Weird graphics Issues with Radeon 9000

Gian Paolo Mureddu Thetargos at tutopia.com
Sun May 2 17:08:13 EDT 2004

Richard wrote:

>I have a Radeon 9500 Pro running with  FC1 all updated to shyza and i
>havnt been able to play ut2k4 OR Americas Army for more than 5 mins with
>out getting this issue (the graphic gliching issue) ive tried EVERYTHING
>and still nothing works, even when i do "flush" in console, it fixes it
>for about 2 seconds, and then it goes right back to gliching, sometimes
>i even get a kick out if not a lock up.
>
>any one got any ideas on THIS one?
>
>Boris
>
>On Sat, 2004-05-01 at 12:31, Nathan Van Eps wrote:
>

>>I get this rarely when the texture level is set to low. I have a
>>9500pro.

>>>AFAIK this is a problem with the ATi drivers and some early Z tests...
>>>However I'm not sure... does it look something like this? (See
>>>attached image)
>>>
>>>If so you can correct this with the console command "flush", I've
>>>noticed this on my 9500 when texture level is anywhere beyond normal.

As I said in the message with the image, this problem is with the ATi
drivers, not the game per se. According to some speculation from the
Linux ATi community at
www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=61
<http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=61>, this is
due to some math errors when performing Z buffer tests on the card,
however I do not know why the problem appears, really. This artifacting
of the UT200x based games is nototrious since the introduction of the
3.2.x drivers, being less notorious (in my *personal* experience) in
drivers versions 3.2.8 (which add other type of artifacting, not so
dramatic, and not so often at least).