[ut2004] ALSA sound without OSS emulation

Alex Malinovich demonbane at the-love-shack.net
Mon Mar 22 02:01:05 EST 2004

On Mon, 2004-03-22 at 00:47, Zephaniah E. Hull wrote:
--snip--
> Strong data point, while I have the OSS emulation compiled in and thus
> can not actually verify that it works without it completely, I /CAN/
> verify that starting ut2004 on my system never attempts to open /dev/dsp
> or /dev/sound/dsp.
>
> I will however note that if for any reason the alsa output module of
> openal fails, it will silently fall back to OSS.
>
> I would strongly suggest checking to make sure that the user trying to
> run this can use other ALSA applications, such as alsamixer and some
> sound player with an ALSA output backend.

I've tried running it both as myself and as root, with no luck. My user
account is part of the audio group, and all of the /dev/sound and
/dev/snd devices are "crw-rw---- root:audio". Everything I have that
makes sounds of any sort goes directly through ALSA without using the
OSS emulation. This includes XMMS, mplayer, esd, etc. It just seems that
openal doesn't want to play nice with ALSA for some reason.

Any ideas on what else I can look at? I've downloaded the openal sources
from CVS and gone through them briefly (mainly focusing on the ALSA
code) but as I really know very little about openal it's not very easy
reading. I've also read through the old Loki documentation about openal
trying to get a better grasp of what exactly is going on in the code,
but it hasn't been helping much. (Or it could just be that I'm too tired
after 6 hours of trying to solve this. :)

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837