[ut2004] No love with linux installer

Ryan C. Gordon icculus at clutteredmind.org
Sat Mar 20 01:17:41 EST 2004

> Running kernel 2.6.3, latest everything. Tried both the GTK installer
> and the console one. They copy about 25 megs of stuff, then ask for CD2.
> I insert CD2 and it keeps asking for CD2. No error messages. No such
> trouble with a Windows installation. Does the installer do anything
> special, or can I just copy the files over manually, approximating my
> Windows installation?

Do you have Joliet support in your kernel? That's the usual problem.

The installer needs to unpack a bunch of stuff that is compressed,
prompt for an install a cdkey, install the correct binaries based on CPU
architecture, prompt for new discs, give some idea of how much progress
it's making, recover from i/o errors; it's not a simple shell-script
sort of thing.

> Why the fancy-yet-broken installer, anyways? What are we end users
> gaining from this over, say, a nice shell script which I can debug myself?

Because linux gaming will never accept commercial acceptance if our
solution to everything is "here's a shell script you can debug
yourself."

The installer's source code is GPL'd, for what it's worth.

> Hopefully they'll hire somebody more clueful to write the linux
> installer next time around.

Another satisfied customer.

--ryan.