[ut2004] Will the linux version run on AMD Processors?

Ryan C. Gordon icculus at clutteredmind.org
Thu Mar 18 20:15:36 EST 2004

> I can vouch that UT2004 runs on AMD linux.  I doubt that they would use
> intel specific assembly code.  What problem are you having?

The game will run on anything AMD that is an Athlon or better. There's an
amd64-specific version on the disc for people running 64-bit OSes, too.

The game will NOT run on pre-Athlon chips, like the AMD-K6-3, since we
have gcc generating pentiumpro-specific instructions (it's not specific
assembly we wrote, it's just what the compiler spits out with the compile
options we use).

The next game will almost certainly use gcc's pentium3 options, which will
shut out the original Athlon (but not Athlon XP/MP/64/etc). Please try to
upgrade your machine in the next few years.  :)

--ryan.