[ut2004] Terrible luck even with newest patches

Matthew Arnold marnold at ez-net.com
Sun Jun 20 21:11:32 EDT 2004

Fred Richards wrote:
>  I've been having terrible luck, even with the newest patches.  I'm
> throroughly convinced it's not UT2004 though.  The problems all started
> when I went to kernel 2.6.7 (or a patched 2.6.6, for the recent
> exploit.)  The minute I start the game, the whole system locks up hard.
> Nothing shows up in ~/.ut2004/System/UT2004.log either.   I think it's
> more of an issue with the newer kernels and the nvidia 5336 driver.
> There's a rss_glx screensaver "busyspheres" that does the same thing ...
> I've also turned the machine on to see my xscreensaver frozen, and the
> machine gone with it.  I have a slackware-current installation, which I
> recently upgraded to 10rc1 (from the "current" snapshot of May 25th)...
> The last time I can remember playing the game successfully was with
> kernel 2.6.6 (the one with the dos vuln), Nvidia driver 5336 and the
> Slackware-current from May 25th, 2004, as well as the 3204 patch of UT.
> I seriously think there's a conflict with the way the patch for the DOS
> vulrnerability effects the kernel and Nvidia's binary driver...  anyone
> else have these issues?

FWIW, I recently upgraded to 2.6.7 with the NVIDIA 5336 driver. Right
now, everything seems to be working fine for me. I'm using a heavily
modified version of Slackware 9.0.

This is just a WAG, but do you have 4K stacks enabled in your kernel?
I've heard of people having trouble with that and the NVIDIA driver. If
you are using the normal stacks, a quick grep will turn up this:

$ cat .config|grep 4K
# CONFIG_4KSTACKS is not set

I also assume that you re-compiled the kernel module when you upgraded.

Just a thought,
   Matt