Terrible luck even with newest patches

Fred Richards tech at geexology.org
Sun Jun 20 20:18:43 EDT 2004

  I've been having terrible luck, even with the newest patches.  I'm
throroughly convinced it's not UT2004 though.  The problems all started
when I went to kernel 2.6.7 (or a patched 2.6.6, for the recent
exploit.)  The minute I start the game, the whole system locks up hard.
Nothing shows up in ~/.ut2004/System/UT2004.log either.   I think it's
more of an issue with the newer kernels and the nvidia 5336 driver.
There's a rss_glx screensaver "busyspheres" that does the same thing ...
I've also turned the machine on to see my xscreensaver frozen, and the
machine gone with it.  I have a slackware-current installation, which I
recently upgraded to 10rc1 (from the "current" snapshot of May 25th)...
The last time I can remember playing the game successfully was with
kernel 2.6.6 (the one with the dos vuln), Nvidia driver 5336 and the
Slackware-current from May 25th, 2004, as well as the 3204 patch of UT.
I seriously think there's a conflict with the way the patch for the DOS
vulrnerability effects the kernel and Nvidia's binary driver...  anyone
else have these issues?

-- Fred