[ut2004] 3270 Patch

Tom Emerson osnut at pacbell.net
Tue Aug 31 03:37:22 EDT 2004

On Monday 30 August 2004 10:58 pm, Ryan C. Gordon wrote:
> > Any timeframe on the release version of the 3270 patch for Linux
> > and/or Mac?
>
> Trying to track down something small right now, then out it goes!
>
> (small but hard to reproduce. No timeframe except "soon, jesus, I hope
> soon!")

Speaking of patches, either I missed a critical bit of documentation, or else
everyone thought it was so obvious that nobody mentioned it, but what
*exactly* is the procedure for applying a patch?  I realize the file is
delivered as a bzip file, which is fairly simple to unpack, but it took a bit
of fumbling around to --realize-- that I needed to unpack the files "in
place" over my existing installation.  [if that IS documented, I humbly
apologize, but the point I'm making is that I didn't FIND such a note in any
of the obvious places, like the README file, for instance...]

Then, of course, panic struck as it wouldn't load after the patch -- one more
"fixup" was needed (probably because I overwrote things) but I'm just lucky I
guess :)  It turns out I recently put together an AMD64 system and it appears
the executable has a different name [which the overwritten-by-the-patch
startup script didn't know about] so a bit more investigative work was needed
to point to the right executable [running on SuSE 9.1, BTW]

Other than that, it appears to be running reasonably well -- there are some
color glitches I'm encountering [which doesn't affect gameplay, so I'm not
complaining] but I attribute that to the "stock" ATI driver shipped w/SuSE
and/or the fact my ATI card is a "powered by" [clone] rather than a "built
by" [original] ATI 9000 -- I suspect if I were to get the "blessed" ATI
driver and run through their rigoramole (?) this problem would go away.  Till
then, I need to practice a bit more since the last time I seriously sat down
to this was when "rune" went on sale at $10 a pop (and that wasn't even using
any of the "cool" weapons...)