[ut2004] nohup or screen for Linux ut2004 server?

Pollywog linux at shadypond.com
Thu Aug 26 14:48:46 EDT 2004

On 08/26/2004 06:28 pm, ut2004 at agno.net wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 26, 2004 at 06:18:25PM +0000, Pollywog wrote:
> > On 08/26/2004 05:44 pm, Josh wrote:
> > > nohup ignores the HUP signal so the process doesn't die effectivly
> > > making it a daemon. screen runs the process inside a sort of virtual
> > > terminal so you can disconnect  it from a terminal and reconnect it to
> > > another terminal instead of dieing when the shell exits.. Also very
> > > useful for irc clients.
> >
> > Thanks for the reply.
> >
> > When I have tried to reconnect to the virtual terminal, it did not work,
> > that is why I thought it no better than a HUP.  Is anyone else able to
> > reconnect after disconnecting a screen session for the UT2004 server?
>
> I just tried it--it seems to work.  Nobody connected to the server, but
> it worked fine.  I've only ever had problems with screen and curses
> based programs.

Does UT2004 need to run suid root for multiuser support?
When I start  UT2004 from screen, this is the error I get:

Must run suid root for multiuser support

I run another game from screen and it does not give me that error though I
cannot reattach to the screen session.

This is the script I used:
screen -A -m -d -S /home/games/UT2004/System/ucc-bin server
ONS-Torlan?game=Onslaught.ONSOnslaughtGame?Mutator=UT2Vote43.UT2Vote
ini=ut2004.ini -nohomedir log=utserver.log

It is all on a single line in the shell script.

8)