[ut2004] Tweaking Linux for playing games

Rick B zajelo3 at cfl.rr.com
Fri Aug 13 09:59:12 EDT 2004

John Nilsson wrote:

>On Fri, 2004-08-13 at 07:18, zybhjk at verizon.net wrote:
>

>>I am sure you could write a script to only run cpu intensive
>>background tasks (updatedb etc) when the cpu usage is  <x%.  for a
>>really ugly one off the top of my head: (just a rough outline this
>>will not work)
>>

>Any CPU centric performance hit could just as easily be hanled with
>nice. The problem is with I/O intensive operations.
>
>-John

    That brings up something thats been on my mind. About a week ago, in
my effort to continually tweak my gaming setup, I stumbled on a thread
on a mailing list where the person had "niced" his game to get it to
play smoother. I thought that was odd since as a regular user you can
only "nice" the game to a lower priority, and that just didn't make any
sense. But I decided to try it with this command "nice -n +19 ut2004". I
can't tell that much of a difference, but it does seem to smooth the
game out a little. Somebody else could try it and see if it works for
them, then report back. Any takers?

                Rick B