[ut2004] Tweaking Linux for playing games

Matthew Arnold marnold at ez-net.com
Sat Aug 7 10:09:02 EDT 2004

Gian Paolo Mureddu wrote:

> I have to be _very_ careful with the updatedb deamon, I know it is
> programmed to execute every night at 4 am, but if you don't give it time
> to execute, it'll execute the next time the machine is on, I haven't
> seen this process come up when playin UT2004 (thankfully) but it does
> happen in other games (like NWN), when that process runs, it literally
> kills performance. So my recomendation would be to make sure you execute
> that process when you are away from your computer or at a convenient time).

Erm, doesn't updatedb/slocate have to be run via a cron job? It's not a
daemon. The only reason it would run at a time other than when the cron
job is set for is if you have anacron (or something similar--if there is
something similar) running at boot-up. By default, any cron jobs that
haven't been run yet will run five minutes after boot-up.

Having said that, don't bother trying to do anything while it is
updating the slocate database. It really ties up the hard drive.
Thankfully, it doesn't take very long to run.

Matt