[ut2004] Voice chat

rix zajelo3 at cfl.rr.com
Fri Apr 23 17:43:41 EDT 2004

Gian Paolo Mureddu wrote:

> Peter Wright wrote:
>
>> well my only issue like this is that my clan use Team Speak instead of
>> ingame voice chat. and when i run TeamSpeak i get no sound or music from
>> ut/ut2004. This is because i think linux only handles one program to
>> use the
>> sound card at any time. and with the way ut2004 has been built its
>> the same,
>> where its either the in game voice or ingame sounds. and because the
>> ingame
>> sounds are running before the ingame voice chat the voice chat wont
>> work.
>>

> I'd say your problem is a drivers problem more than an Operating
> System problem. Unlike the OSS-Free drivers (supplied with most 2.4
> kernel based distributions), the ALSA drivers support "polyphony", i.e
> multiple streams at the same time. So if you are using the default
> drives that came with your kernel, it may verywell a resctriction from
> the OSS drivers.

Hi all,
    Yeah I noticed that bigtime when I got my OpenAL and ALSA setup
right. Like when you use the cursor to click on the options in the main
menu, the resulting sound is poly, but you don't know that if you're
using the OSS drivers. I'm not sure but I don't think you hear poly when
using the ALSA-OSS emulation driver either.

                Rick B