[ut2004] One more OpenAl question

rix zajelo3 at cfl.rr.com
Thu Apr 22 21:58:25 EDT 2004

Jason Paque wrote:

> */rix <zajelo3 at cfl.rr.com>/* wrote:
>
>     Jason Paque wrote:
>
>     > use your lspci program to retrieve the hardware list for the right
>     > setting for the soundcard.
>     > you have to look under /usr/bin to find the lspci prog for every
>     > distro it is aparently different.
>     >
>     > */rix /* wrote:
>     >
>     > rix wrote:
>     >
>     > > Hi all,
>     > > All right, I got my openal set up mostly right except I get some
>     > > static when the game starts. I have a feeling it's the
>     > >
>     > > (define alsa-out-device "hw:0,0") comment in .openalrc. How do you
>     > > know what the "out-device" is on any particular machine? Is the
>     > > "hw:0,0" representative of the pci bus location of the sound
>     > card? I
>     > > have tried "default" instead of "hw:0,0" that doesn't work at all.
>     > > Also, I got like a 3 fps perfor! mance boost out of this tweak.
>     > Thanks
>     > > guys for helping out.
>     > >
>     > > Rick B.
>     > >
>     > >
>     > Nevermind, I found some documetation and from what I learned
>     "hw:0,0"
>     > should be the right output. I'll fiddle with it 'till I get it
>     right.
>     > Maybe it's "plughw:0,0".
>     >
>     > Rick B
>     >
>     I originally thought that the pci location of the sound card was
>     what I
>     should use (lspci -v tells me 00:06.0 is my sound card) but that's
>     not
>     right. I learned that if you do a "cat /proc/asound/devices":
>
>     0: [0- 0]: ctl
>     25: [0- 1]: digital audio capture
>     16: [0- 0]: digital audio playback
>     24: [0- 0]: digital audio capture
>     33: : timer
>
>     If you look at the third line down you will see "16: [0- 0]: digital
>     audio playback" the [0- 0] is what ALSA wants to know, apparently
>     so it
>     knows how to send the output. If you have a card with more than one
>     output, like an extra SPDIF out, you wil! l have more than one
>     "digital
>     audio playback" device listed, so you will have to find out which one
>     can be used.
>
>     Rick B
>     from what I see on your list there are going to be conflicts when
>     you init audio playback as it will be recaptured unless I am
>     reading it wrong you have 3 functions tied to the same device
>     parameters

    That's not my setup, it's one I found on the webpage I learned this
from. Here's mine:

0: [0- 0]: ctl
 18: [0- 2]: digital audio playback
 25: [0- 1]: digital audio capture
 16: [0- 0]: digital audio playback
 24: [0- 0]: digital audio capture
  1:       : sequencer
 33:       : timer

    As far as conflicts, I'm not sure. I  think this might be a very
common setup since alot of sound cards come with audio-out,mic-in, and a
gameport(ctl?) hence the "0- 0" designation being tied to all three. I
believe "0- 2" is my SPDIF out, and "0- 1" is my SPDIF in. I'm not
really sure about any of this since I'm learning all of this as I go.
Actually, I was suprised at how much of a difference ALSA made in the
game audio, and so far I haven't had any problems except for some static
when the game starts and stops.

                Rick B