[ut2004] /bin/sh: bad interpreter: Permission denied

Frederik Dannemare admin at sentinel.dk
Tue Apr 20 05:46:48 EDT 2004

On Tuesday 20 April 2004 11:10, Andrew Pilley wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-04-20 at 18:58, Frederik Dannemare wrote:
> > Why install it as root? Doesn't make sense.
>
> What's wrong with installing as root, and just putting stuff in
> ~/.ut2004 ?

So you are saying that you install as root into ~/.ut2004. Is this root's
homedir or your own homedir? Either way it just doesn't make sense. Let me
guess: you run the game as root as well? And you chmod 777 all kinds of
files when you can't get something to work?

Please tell me why you don't just into as yourself into your own homedir?
Alternatively, you could create something like /usr/local/games and let it
be owned by you (or some games group and then become a member of this).
This way you don't need root for anything - and certainly not for running
the game!

> It's a sound system administration technique, and has been for years.

Depending on what you are dealing with, of course. And depending on how you
practice security.

--
Frederik Dannemare