VARSize @ OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice

Andreas 'GlaDiaC' Schneider andreas.schneider at linux-gamers.net
Mon Apr 19 09:59:44 EDT 2004

> Q: I've got an awesome box, but I can't get more than 9 fps on
> AS-Mothership. Help!

> A: Open up your UT2004.ini file and change VARSize=32 to VARSize=64. It
> should be under the [OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice] section. That should
> do the trick. VARSize controls how much static geometry in megabytes can
> be cached in AGP memory.

Hi,

I think VARSize is the size of the AGP Vertex RAM allocated for OpenGL vertex arrays, right?

It isn't a good thing to use all or the most of this RAM vor the vertex arrays. These arrays are used for geometry, i.e. coordinates. They are not used for textures. The more AGP memory you reserve for vertex arrays, the less memory is left for textures. So it should be not set to more than 1/2 of the AGP aperture size.

dmesg | grep 'AGP aperture'

  -- Andreas