[ut2004] any ways to get more performance?

Gian Paolo Mureddu Thetargos at tutopia.com
Tue Apr 6 04:44:49 EDT 2004

> Gian,
>       As someone who is always looking to tweak my system for optimum
> performance I found what you said interesting. But I don't quite
> understand what you mean by "Rename the
> /where/you/installed/ut2004/System/libSDL-1.2.so.0 file". What should
> it be renamed to? Do I just do something like
>     'ln -s /usr/local/games/ut2004/System/libSDL-1.2.so.0
> /usr/lib/libSDL-1.2.so.o.o.5' ?
>    Also, why does this increase performance?
>                  TIA,
>          Rick Belins
In order, you should rename the original libSDL from the UT install,
just in case the one from your system for whatever reason fails. Do so
by something like:

# cd /where/you/installed/ut2004 (in my case /usr/local/games/ut2004,
have to be root)
# mv libSDL.so.0 ~libSDL.so.0
# ln -sf /usr/lib/libSDL-1.2.so.0.0.5 libSDL.so.0

If you've got OpenAL installed system wide
# mv openal.so ~openal.so
# ln -sf /usr/lib/libopenal.so.0.0.7 openal.so

In theory this increases peroformance because your system's SDL is
compiled so it supports a wider variety of scenarios (like ALSA
bindings, etc, etc) same goes for OpenAL.