Strange On-Line gaming problem

Gian Paolo Mureddu Thetargos at tutopia.com
Tue Apr 6 03:46:29 EDT 2004

Ok, I just got my retail copy of UT2004 (Ok saturday I got it), and I
wanted to try out on-line gaming. I already knew my mic was woking OK,
becuase I could activate it with the 'F' key during SP matches. Now my
problem is that I can't get on-line:

The game will gently just say that the Connection failed, and kick me
off to servers list. Try a second server, the same, another and the
same, and every server I try: the same.  When I get off (I actually
start the game from console) I get this in the console:
[dump]
Resolved ut2004master2.epicgames.com -> 207.135.145.7
Connection established.
Resolved ut2004master2.epicgames.com -> 207.135.145.7
Connection established.
RecvFrom returned SOCKET_ERROR 111
RecvFrom returned SOCKET_ERROR 111
RecvFrom returned SOCKET_ERROR 111
RecvFrom returned SOCKET_ERROR 111
RecvFrom returned SOCKET_ERROR 111
RecvFrom returned SOCKET_ERROR 111
RecvFrom returned SOCKET_ERROR 111
RecvFrom returned SOCKET_ERROR 111
RecvFrom returned SOCKET_ERROR 111
RecvFrom returned SOCKET_ERROR 111
RecvFrom returned SOCKET_ERROR 111
RecvFrom returned SOCKET_ERROR 111
RecvFrom returned SOCKET_ERROR 111
RecvFrom returned SOCKET_ERROR 111
RecvFrom returned SOCKET_ERROR 111
RecvFrom returned SOCKET_ERROR 111
free(): invalid pointer 0xb554378!
Unhashed name 'Karm'

History:

Exiting due to error
[/dump]
The error is just when I quit the game, in this particular dump I had
been playing SP for about 2 hours without problems, until I tried to go
on-line, could not get, exited the game, the game hung at exit, then
error message.

Anyway, searching around I now know that SOCKET_ERROR 111 means
connection refused by server (why may that be, I do not know), and that
this problem affects (or at least is reported with) the servers rather
than the clients. In any case apparently this has to dow with routers, I
happen to have another Linux box acting as a router/fw, I've even
lowered completely the fw, and nothing happened, I still get the error.
Oddly enough with the DEMO none of this happened, and I had to tweak
nothing in my router/fw machine...

Is anyone else having these problems? Thanks.