[ut2003io] ATI Radeon and UT2004

Lean Fuglsang lean at omnia.dk
Sun Feb 15 13:14:13 EST 2004

On søn, 2004-02-15 at 13:52, Joseph Tan wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> The demo runs great on my desktop system equipped at a GeForce 4 Ti
> using the NVIDIA proprietary Linux drivers. Seeing HOW good the
> performance of UT2004 demo was on my laptop under Windows I decided to
> give it a shot under Linux.
>
> I'm currently using ATI's proprietary 3.7.0 drivers under XFree86 4.3.0,
> Mandrake 9.2 with a 2.6.2 kernel. This is on a Dell Latitude D600 laptop
> with a Radeon 9000 Mobility (32MB). The initial NVIDIA screen looks
> fine, the menus look fine, but as soon as I get into the game it runs
> extremely slowly and the rendering looks messed up. The best description
> I can give is that I see lots of messed up polygons with a common
> vertice at the centre of the screen.
>
> Hmm.. has anyone tried the demo with an ATI card under Linux yet?
Yep, and it works fine, on an 9500. But the newest drivers have changed
focus from performance to stability/precision, so the game is not as
fast as with older drivers.
The bug that you describe has happened once in the game, during play.
Suddenly the polygons were all buggy, except the HUD, and the game were
_very_ slow.
So if you manage to remove this bug somehow, the performance should go
tremendous up.
Maybe you should try som older drivers.
--
Lean Fuglsang <lean at omnia.dk>