[ut2003io] Performance of UT2K4 wrt UT2K3

Andrew Pilley ashridah at icculus.org
Sat Feb 14 07:23:12 EST 2004

On Sat, 2004-02-14 at 16:18, David Krider wrote:
> I just wanted to say for the record that I get a better playing
> experience with the new demo than with UT2003. I have a dual Athlon 1200
> with 513 MB RAM and a GeForce FX4600Ti running SuSE 9.0. I'm only
> running the game where it came up at first, which is 800x600 with a few
> extra visuals. So far, it seems smoother than running the older game,
> but I suppose time will tell.

They've had over a year to optimise the engine, and they didn't
completely rewrite it, what did you expect?

> Now that we have this, we need two things:
>
> 1) How do we get a framerate reading like in the older game?

'stat fps' in the console, exactly the same as ut2003. works for me.

> 2) How do we do benchmarking like in the older game?

I did some poking, looks like, for the time being, you cannot.
I recreated the bits from ut2003 that does a flyby, and tried it on
DM-rankin.
the flyby didn't occur, but the actual benchmarking DID, so i just moved
around the map (you can fly around like in spectator mode) for 77
seconds before it quit and wrote benchmarking results.
No idea how to get it to do an automated flyby (even creating the
flybyexec.txt file didn't do the trick)

ashridah

--
I hereby pose this question for analysis.
Are Microsoft users smarter than hamsters?