[ut2003io] ut2004 question

Paul Berger sanepsycho at globaldialog.com
Sun Feb 8 21:45:01 EST 2004

On Sun, 2004-02-08 at 09:35, Magnus Alexandersson wrote:
> Ian Hastie wrote:

> >>Client/ server and there are two codecs, 4.8 and 9.6 kbits with the latter
> >>having to be allowed by the server.
> >

> > So how much will that be when game data is added to the voice?
> >
> My guess is 4.8 respectively 9.6 kilobits per second bandwidth.
> /magnus

Depending on the bandwidth improvements in the netcode I can see 4.8Kbps
ending up using approx the same bandwith usage as with UT2003.

Depanding on the codec 4.8Kbs may not be bad, Speex at 5.2Kbps sounds
reasonably good, and at 9.3Kbps it sounds good, better than many cell
phones.

Since clan members sometimes keep chatting even though they are on
different servers, I'll probably keep running our TeamSpeak server.

Regards,
Paul