[ut2003io] Microsoft = Epic's new publisher?

Peter Hoff petehoff at pacbell.net
Thu Sep 18 01:52:30 EDT 2003

Matthew Arnold wrote:

> David Krider wrote:
>
>> What is
>> more worrisome is whether or not the hardware makers (nVidia and ATI)
>> will continue to create drivers that support the OpenGL spec with good
>> performance. Matrox found out it was too hard, and basically gave up. On
>> the other hand, I have good hope for both, because they keep making new
>> cards specifically tailored for this market, and the technology trickles
>> down.
>

> As long as John Carmack keeps cranking out engines, NVIDIA and ATI
> will support OpenGL. When Carmack hangs 'em up, there will be
> problems. By this I mean no disrespect to Tim Sweeney, et al, but
> Carmack is pretty much the champion of OpenGL.
>
> Matt

Games aren't the only thing that use 3d acceleration. Pretty much any
professional 3d modeling or CADD app is OpenGL, and I don't see them
changing their minds any time soon. Good OpenGL support means nVidia can
repackage a GeForce as a Quadro and quadruple the price tag.  Add to
that the fact that more and more professionals are looking to Linux for
their rendering and such, and I think it's safe to say that nVidia at
least will be supporting Linux and OpenGL for the forseeable future.