[ut2003io] Microsoft = Epic's new publisher?

Michael stuff at dustsmoke.com
Wed Sep 17 22:16:58 EDT 2003

> David Krider wrote:
>
>> What is
>> more worrisome is whether or not the hardware makers (nVidia and ATI)
>> will continue to create drivers that support the OpenGL spec with good
>> performance. Matrox found out it was too hard, and basically gave up.
>> On the other hand, I have good hope for both, because they keep making
>> new cards specifically tailored for this market, and the technology
>> trickles down.
>
> As long as John Carmack keeps cranking out engines, NVIDIA and ATI will
> support OpenGL. When Carmack hangs 'em up, there will be problems. By
> this I mean no disrespect to Tim Sweeney, et al, but Carmack is pretty
> much the champion of OpenGL.
>
> Matt

Yeah... cuz carmack is the only person making anything with OpenGL......
Nobody uses OpenGL except for carmack! OpenGL is only anything when
carmack is around.

What's that supposed to mean?

OpenGL isn't going anywhere in the forseable future. Has nothing to do
with carmack or id software. The only reason many game companies aren't
using OpenGL anymore with windows is because there really isn't a need for
it anymore, expecially when that's all their scope is. But I'll assure you
that if carmack fades away into the landscape tomarrow, GL will be around
in ATI and NVIDIA for years to come.

--
Michael