[ut2003io] Linux Performance

David Krider david at davidkrider.com
Fri May 30 16:34:48 EDT 2003

On Fri, 2003-05-30 at 14:15, Dan Trevino wrote:

> OK, here ( http://wrevolution.org/nvidia_performance.jsp ) is a little
> table with the results.

> statistically significant.  Enabling fast writes and side band
> addressing also yield little performance boost (less than 2%).

Awesome bit of work there. Thank you. (Like tkVoice said, you need to
post the resolutions, but the hard work's done.)

Did you do any actual playing with the changes? I guess the numbers
don't lie, but my experience with making these changes is that the game
is much more "smooth." I, too, saw little change in actual framerates.
On the other hand, before making the changes, the game felt like it was
"dropping packets" all the time. It was jerky. Afterwards, that almost
went away.

I suppose someone will say I'm just deluding myself, but I consider
myself pretty objective. I'm not afraid to say, "Hey, man, these changes
don't do jack; don't put your system's stability in jeopardy for this,"
but that's just not been my experience. Does anyone know how to actually
tell if I'm "dropping frames" so that I could apply this metric against
my machine?

I guess either way it goes, it's getting cheaper by the day to upgrade
my dual Athlon 1200's to my board's maximum of 2800+'s...

Regards,
dk