[ut2003io] Linux Performance

David Krider david at davidkrider.com
Sun May 25 09:30:09 EDT 2003

On Sun, 2003-05-25 at 06:13, Ryan C. Gordon wrote:
> > Another little tip for better framerates:
> > toss that kde that is usually used on SUSE and us a lighter window-manager (or
> > none) when playing ;)
>
> Building your own optimized openal.so, ogg.so and vorbis.so may gain you
> some frames, too.

That brings up an interesting point. I don't like any music playing when
I'm gaming as I think it masks environmental cues I use to tell where
people are. I just crank the music volume to zero, but does that really
turn the music subsystem _off_? If not, is there a way to simply not
even load those libraries?

dk

P.S. Am I just being dense: Is there a way to look through the list
archives online? Better yet, I'd love to just have the whole list
history as a big, fat mbox file...