[ut2003io] Linux Performance

David Krider david at davidkrider.com
Sun May 25 01:44:27 EDT 2003

On Sat, 2003-05-24 at 15:56, Ryan C. Gordon wrote:
> > please help me out? I really need to fix this. I have a dual Athlon 1200
> > with a GeForce 4 4600Ti, and I'm getting into the 20's on the outdoor
> > levels. I'm running SuSE 8.2 now, as opposed to Red Hat, but I had the
> > same problem there at first as well. I know this is vague, but does
> > anyone have any suggestions?
>
> Make sure AGP is enabled for your graphics card (The "NvAgp" option in
> your XF86Config file). That's the usual culprit.

Bingo! That was it; that was what I was thinking about. Unfortunately,
setting all of this up didn't make any difference. I loaded the agpgart
kernel module, added ``Option "NvAgp" "3"`` to my XF86Config file, made
sure I was getting AGP (from the XFree86 log), but nothing changed. Very
strange. I wonder if something in the SuSE 8.2 kernel is hindering me on
this, but my flyby-antalus scores are 79.6 before setting up AGP and
79.8 after. And this is right around where my scores were on Red Hat
7.3, *after* AGP changes. On that distro, I *doubled* my score when I
configured AGP. So the net net of the whole business leads me to believe
that SuSE has done something with their kernel which makes fooling with
the AGP stuff moot. Anyone else using SuSE 8.2 that can shed some light
on what's going on with this distro?

I just forgot about how hard my computer has to work with UT2003. I
think it's time to upgrade my dual 1200's to 2400's. Heh. Right. My wife
would kill me.

Thanks and regards,
dk

P.S. I know you get this all the time, Ryan, but THANKS! Not only for
making the port, but for your constant help on this list. I would have
thanked you sooner, but I was satisfied I did all I could, and started
fragging away for the rest of the day. ;-)