[ut2003io] unable to use autoupdater for 2225

Stefan Gehn sgehn at gmx.net
Sun May 18 05:36:14 EDT 2003

Moin,

On Sunday May 18 2003 03:35, Ryan C. Gordon wrote:
> loki_update has been a total failure for ut2003; I don't think I'll use
> it again on other projects until it gets redesigned.

The biggest problem with patches is "size" vs. "work for everybody".

You either supply ALL changed files between the last patch or even from the
first release onwards (that's why I always hated patching my halflife,
downloads on isdn dialup were a pita). Or you go and use binary diffs by
risking that some file might have been touched by something else.

I usually prefer the diff way but as it breaks so often having a full updater
that works for every version is even better (and now that I have a 2MBit line
I don't care about download sizes anymore).

Whatever you do, just don't do it like halflife did and create crpytic
hl_version1_version2 like patches to patch from one to another version,
either full patches or diff patches ;)

Bye, Stefan aka mETz
--
sgehn_AT_gmx.net | ICQ#51123152 | Moege der Pinguin mit euch sein