[ut2003io] Frame Rate Questions

Neil Gower neilg at canada.com
Sun Jan 26 03:01:56 EST 2003

On 1 Jan 2002, Paul Berger wrote:

> Looks like the game engine is the bottleneck ::sigh:: I guess I need
> more CPU.  Last game I got a new system because was Desent 3, and when
> Loki released a Linux Version I finally able to delete my windows
> partition.

I posted about this issue as well a while ago (running an 8500 128M,
XP 1800+, 512MB DDR), and Geforce users have posted good results with
CPUs like yours:

> > I'm playing with a Athlon-xp 1600+ and a Geforce4 TI4200 64mb and
> > works fine
>
> it's even possible to play on an athlon 1400 with a GeForce2GTS/PRO
> w/ 64 MB

... so it sounds like something about the Radeon (drivers?) is dumping
extra work on the CPU.  If you haven't already, you should mention your
problem to ATI on their driver feedback site:

http://apps.ati.com/linuxDfeedback/

... hopefully that will help motivate them to resolve the issue.  Don't
blow cash on a new system just yet (maybe a new video card if you're
feeling impatient ;-)

Neil.