[ut2003io] Serious issues

David van Hoose davidvh at cox.net
Thu Jan 2 16:07:40 EST 2003

Ryan C. Gordon wrote:

>> During installation, the installer probed every removable drive in my
>> fstab for each and every action during the installation. I had to
>> remove my floppy and zipdrive lines out of my fstab just for the
>> installation to not take 3 hours. The installer should *NEVER* read
>> the fstab.
>

> This is a bug in the installer; it's reading the fstab because it's
> looking for the game CD.

Then it should read /dev/cdrom not the fstab. A command line argument to
find the correct path to the CD should suffice. If all else fails, a
'grep -i "iso9660" /etc/fstab' should return a line with the mount
directory.

>> During runtime, I noticed the game got increasingly slower. Eventually
>> my sound core ceased to work and the game locked my system. I rebooted
>> and continued to play. The game once again got slow and the sound cut
>> off. I switched to tty1 and logged in root and checked my memory to
>> find that I was using 900MB of memory in my system with 512MB of
>> physical and 1GB swap. Low and behold 'ps -A v' show the following
>> line which pissed me off.
>

> Are you playing a lot of Bombing Run, by any chance?

This problem occurs when I play a lot of anything. Seems to happen
faster during bombing run though.

-David