[ut2003io] OT: Original UT Audio Problem

Eric Lathrop eslathro at mtu.edu
Wed Feb 12 00:35:07 EST 2003

> > I can't seem to get audio in the game to work unless I run it as root.
> > And yes, permissions on /dev/dsp are correct (crw-rw-rw-), because
> > every other program works are normal user.
>
> What about /dev/mixer?
>
> Anything in the log file that hints at the problem?

/dev/mixer is same as /dev/dsp.
Here's the part of the logfile that deals with sound. It looks okay to me.
I've tried to install UT before and had it not work at all (on same box,
same os), but for some reason this time worked (except for the audio
problem)

Log: Bound to Audio.so
Init: Allocating an audio buffer of 4096 bytes.
Log: [MikModMusic] Music startup.
Log: [MikModMusic] Booting up music - initializing MikMod.
Log: [MikModMusic] Setting music quality: 22050Hz, stereo 16bit normal
quality. Init: Created a new audio thread.
Init: Generic audio subsystem initialized.
Init: Reopening audio device.
Log: [MikModMusic] Music reset.
Log: [MikModMusic] Setting music quality: 22050Hz, stereo 16bit normal
quality. Init: Allocating an audio buffer of 4096 bytes.
Init: Game engine initialized
Log: Startup time: 1.472156 seconds.
Log: Entering main loop.
Log: [MikModMusic] Changing songs: data at 0x4166b008, 2868255 bytes.
1000ms fade. Log: [MikModMusic] Song is different to currently playing, if
any. Sending signal to music thread.