[ut2003io] TNT2 on Linux

Bryce Kennedy superprofits at attbi.com
Mon Sep 30 04:22:36 EDT 2002

Frame rates for me in Linux for the first time ever are actually better than
my W2K OS.
Athlon 2200+ (was just running a 1800+ didn't make any real differance just
the money from my pocket being gone)
KT3 Ultra2 Board
pc 2700 512 mem.
Nvidia 128meg Ti 4200 card
Redhat 7.3 with updated kernel and Nvidia latest drivers.
In the factory map on UT2003 running at 800x600 my average is around 100fps
Out side map dips to around 75fps.
Turning off decals,shiny surfaces,and general low settings.
If I run 800x600 with everything on high it only goes down about 5-10 fps.
But even my machine stutters a bit when playing in a match online with 8-12
players. If I go back to the lower settings hardly any stutter at all.
Also my soundcard drags my CPU down it's a Soundblaster Live, which I am going
to replace, any good low CPU sound card recomendations?
Anyway in W2k with the latest updates and running the approved drivers my
frame rates at the same 800x600 are around 45-55fps. I tried the newest beta
drivers but they did not seem to work with UT2003. When in Linux or W2k and I
jump up to 1072x768 it doesn't bring my FPS down very much but makes more
stuutering in a multiplayer game. I think with a better sound card it will
improve. First time my Linux machine beat my windoze box at a game!
But before in UT I ran a Voodoo 5500 in W2k and got 175 FPS,and my linux box
only used one of the 5500 chips so it could only ever do 100fps.` all in all
I would say that UT2003 and Linux with a Ti 4200 card the frame rate is very
stable. Thanks for the new game!