[ut2003io] CPU Performance (was: Color depth)

Matthew Arnold marnold at ez-net.com
Thu Sep 19 18:14:31 EDT 2002

Daniel Borgmann wrote:

> RAM is 512MB of SDRAM on 133, my P3 mainboard just doesn't accept
> anything better. The OS is completely compiled with i686 optimisation
> including a custom kernel of course. The kernel is also patched with
> preemtible and low latency patches, but I don't think (hope) that this
> affects performance in a negative way.

That PC133 memory is going to be a huge bottleneck, although I don't
honestly know how much DDR would help a 1Ghz P3. Your processor can't
come close to feeding the GeForce4 fast enough. Basically, the GF4 is
sitting there twiddling its silicon thumbs. From some of the reviews I
read, even my Athlon XP 1800+ with PC2100 would have a hard time maxing
out a GF4.

You probably would have been better served getting a GeForce3 Ti200 like
mine or something similar. It would be a better match for your system
and you would have saved a ton of cash.

Matt