[ut2003io] CPU Performance (was: Color depth)

Stefan Gehn sgehn at gmx.net
Thu Sep 19 15:22:31 EDT 2002

Moin,

On Donnerstag September 19 2002 19:48, Ryan C. Gordon wrote:
> > frames go mostly down. I also just found out that reducing the audio
> > channels to 8 or even 4 (I use 4 right now) increases the performance a
> > LOT, almost as much as disabling the sound, while it still sounds very
> > good mostly. Tweaks like this are great, even if they make the game a
> > little bit less beautiful, they make it a lot more playable and fun.
>
> For the Linux version, the openal.so we shipped is not optimized, since
> I didn't want to risk compatibility problems (hmmm, but I got that
> anyway with the Karma libs...look at all the K6 owners! Who'd've thought?).

Are the K6-CPUs powerfull enough for playing ut2k3 at an acceptable framerate?
If no then I'd not support them anyway. It's a bit like you would drop any
pentium-feature to make it run on a 486 :)

> --enable-optimizations and a few other tweaks and compare framerates. On
> my dual 800MHz box, the OpenAL mixer thread was eating about 25-30% of
> the second CPU at a time, so I can imagine this is rough on a
> uniprocessor box.

Yes it is, My celeron800 makes the game unplayable on linux, works more or
less on windows though (feels about 10fps faster which makes a difference on
this sys!).

> Joe Valenzuela, the Linux OpenAL maintainer, sent me an email with some
> thoughts on OpenAL optimizations...I'll forward it to the list. if there
> are any tinkerers that care to experiment, I'd love to hear your results.

I'll have a look a t OpenAL CVS and see if I can compile it and then bench
again with what I compiled.

Bye, Stefan aka mETz
--
sgehn at gmx.net | ICQ#51123152 | Moege der Pinguin mit euch sein