[ut2003io] CPU Performance (was: Color depth)

Matthew Arnold marnold at ez-net.com
Thu Sep 19 15:07:17 EDT 2002

Ryan C. Gordon wrote:

> For the Linux version, the openal.so we shipped is not optimized, since
> I didn't want to risk compatibility problems (hmmm, but I got that
> anyway with the Karma libs...look at all the K6 owners! Who'd've thought?).

> Joe Valenzuela, the Linux OpenAL maintainer, sent me an email with some
> thoughts on OpenAL optimizations...I'll forward it to the list. if there
> are any tinkerers that care to experiment, I'd love to hear your results.

Well, I just sucked down the OpenAL CVS (say, is there a way just to get
the Linux stuff without sucking down the Windows and Mac stuff as well?)
and compiled it with --enable-optimizations. I worked under the
assumption that openal.so is a renamed version of libopenal.so.0.0.6. If
that isn't the case, please correct me.

I backed up the original openal.so and copied the new one into
ut2003_demo/System. I benchmarked both botmatch-citadel and
botmatch-asbestos. With the new openal.so, I actually lost about a half
of a fps--probably not statistically significant. Even worse, though,
the music would sound like it is skipping.

My system is an Athlon XP 1800+, SoundBlaster Audigy with the latest
release open-source drivers, and a GeForce3 Ti200 with the latest NVIDIA
binary drivers.

Matt