[ut2003io] Linux Dedicated UT/UT2003 Servers

ashridah ashridah at cyber.com.au
Wed Sep 18 20:32:51 EDT 2002

On Wed, Sep 18, 2002 at 04:12:51PM +0100, miguel.durao at netcabo.pt wrote:
> Hello, I'm a Linux and UT fan, posting here for the first time.
> First of all, Congratulations on the port, at least, someone did something for the community of Linux/UT fans. :)
>
> Now, for my problem:
>
> >	#ifndef _ASMi386_PARAM_H
> >	#define _ASMi386_PARAM_H
> >
> >	#ifndef HZ
> >	#define HZ 1000 /* was 100 */
> >	#endif

okay. just about every kernel-internals book i've read warns against
fiddling with this, mainly because even tho it's supposed to be hardcoded
as a define, some people still make assumptions about its value.
things like the floppy driver (which probably doesn't really matter on
a server) and other things that try to do timing at a particular
granularity can often start acting weirdly. that said, as long as you
test this properly, i'd say it shouldn't cause too many problems, but
i'd do some research on the side effects (search the linux-kernel
mailing list, and other literature sets) people have noticed before i'd
rely on it.

still, it doesn't surprise me that much.

Andrew 'ashridah' Pilley