[ut2003io] Color depth

Ryan C. Gordon ryan at epicgames.com
Mon Sep 16 19:24:02 EDT 2002

> Now I'm wondering, does the setting in the game actually do anything or
> do I really have to start the X server in 16 bit mode to get a lower
> color depth? \

It's not hooked up for Linux, since XFree can't switch color depths on
the fly. Some X servers can (although I don't know if any X server for
Linux can), but I'm not willing to hook it up and field a million bug
reports from XFree users. Restart X in 16-bit mode if you want to try.

For Direct3D on Windows, you can switch color depths from your desktop's
default if you are running fullscreen. On Linux, we just use whatever
color depth your X server is running at, period.

> On a related note (but off topic), does anyone know how to enable vsync
> with XFree and Nvidia driver? I couldn't find any infos about this in
> the net (searching for vsync and xfree isn't very productive :/).

It's in the README that comes with Nvidia's GLX implementation.

export __GL_SYNC_TO_VBLANK=1

(I think)

--ryan.