[ut2003io] Performance under Linux

Se\\/ severed at mindspring.com
Mon Oct 21 23:56:19 EDT 2002

Eric Lathrop wrote:

>>What version of the kernel are you using? you may need to update to a
>>newer release to get support for the SiS chipsets in agpgart. i don't
>>recall wether NvAGP supports SiS, but you can check to see if it's
>>listed in the README as being supported (for their own internal agp
>>driver, it's not an absolute)
>>

>I'm running 2.4.19, and I enabled
>Character devices->/dev/agpgart (AGP Support)->Generic SiS Support.
>
>The README for Nvidia's driver doesn't say it supports SiS's
>651 (I think that's my agp chipset).
>

>>What have you got the agp apeture set to in the bios settings?
>>

>It was set to 4mb, but I changed it to my video card's memory size(64mb),
>and while it maybe have given me a few more fps, it didn't make agp
>enabled.
>
>  --Eric Lathrop
>    www.WretchedBliss.net
>

>>ashridah
>>
>>On Mon, 2002-10-21 at 03:59, Eric Lathrop wrote:
>>

>>>Ok, so I compiled in MTRR support, and nothing.
>>>
>>>[the related stuff from] lspci gives:
>>>
>>>00:00.0 Host bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS]: Unknown device
>>>0651(rev 01)
>>>00:01.0 PCI bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 5591/5592 AGP
>>>01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV25 [GeForce4
>>>Ti4200] (rev a3)
>>>
>>>/var/log/XFree86.log shows:
>>>
>>>(II) NVIDIA(0): Verifying AGP usage for Screen 0...
>>>(WW) NVIDIA(0): Failed to verify AGP usage
>>>
>>>/var/log/messages gives:
>>>
>>>kernel: agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 439M
>>>
>>>I recompiled my kernel again to make agpgart only be a module, so I
>>>could try using NvAGP. I tried different settings for NvAGP, but it
>>>still doesn't work.
>>>
>>>I did some searching on Google, and I don't think that there's any
>>>support for my AGP chipset.
>>>
>>>  --Eric Lathrop
>>>    www.WretchedBliss.net

I had a very similiar problem with my via chipset.

Try this. In /etc/module.conf   add:

alias char-major-10-175 agpgart
options agpgart agp_try_unsupported=1

As long as the agpgart.o is compiled as a module and also includes SiS
support, then agpgart should load OK. If not the 1 of 2 things...
1. Your chipset is not supported (it won't work in generic)...sorry.

2. Your video card is broke.

My problem turned out to be bad Geforce4Ti4200! I had taken it out of a
working system, and put it into my new one. I knew it worked, but for
some reason I could get agpgart to load, but it would lock up when the
NVdriver tried to set agp to 4X!  After a week of losing lots of hair
and sleep, I switched in another card... bam AGP in 4X using an
unsupported VIA chipset. I suspected the card when I gave up and
installed windows, only to have it lockup as soon as I started an opengl
screensaver. :)

Also, just to make sure, you do have agp 4X set in the bios?

--Brian