[ut2003io] optimized openal.so = more speed

Matthew Arnold marnold at EZ-NET.COM
Fri Oct 11 12:14:35 EDT 2002

Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Oct 2002 09:49:51 -0500
> # Because Creative has not come up with its own drivers nor have they
> # released the specs on the emu10k1 chips so that the open source
> # community can do it. They've been promising binary drivers for what
> # seems like an eternity. Until they do one or they other, most of the
> #
> # SoundBlaster Live/Audigy's power will lie untapped.
>
> Excuse me?  And Creative's emu10k1 sourceforge page is just a fake?
> The "emu-tools" script that allows for digital out, rear channel,
> hardware surround sound, bass/treble mixer, thats all just a figment
> of my imagination?

I have used the open source driver and am aware of its capabilities.
However, they do not have the full specs for the chips. There is no EAX
support. Last I checked, there is no soundfont support either (although
the ALSA drivers support this). Those drivers make the Live/Audigy
usable, but certainly do not allow full use of the cards' abilities.

The original question I was replying to was "how good is hardware
acceleration support in openal anyway?" My response was basically there
is no hardware acceleration support in the available drivers. That is a
true statement. If anyone knows of any drivers that provide acceleration
and EAX support equal to the Windows versions, please let me know.

This isn't a rip on the emu10k1 Sourceforge developers who have done a
great job despite the difficult situation they are in. It is a rip on
Creative for not supporting their products. Of course, Creative is not
alone in their dubious support for Linux.

Matt