[ut2003io] UT2003 64-bit Edition Demo

Ryan C. Gordon ryan at epicgames.com
Thu Nov 21 17:21:16 EST 2002

> I read last night (Tech Connect I think) that Epic says it took 1
> developer 1 week to port the Unreal technology engine to 64 bit.
>
> I wish I could remember where I read it.  34 next week and already
> losing my memory.

It took a little more than a week, but yes, we showed UT2003 running as
a native 64-bit application on the Hammer during AMD's keynote.

The game was running on a 64-bit version of SuSE Linux 8.0. We do not
have a 64-bit Windows version at this moment, but we will by the time
Hammer is officially launched next year.

I am told that the demo has been moved to AMD's booth now that the
keynote is over, so if you happen to be in Vegas, you can play with it
yourself for the next day or so.

(As for "1 developer" ... I did most of the port, but got tons of help
from Daniel Vogel here at Epic, Joe Kain at Nvidia, and Elias Slater at
AMD. Oh, and Tim Sweeney kicked my ass into shape at least once.  :)  )

--ryan.