[ut2003io] what upgrade?

David Krider david at davidkrider.com
Wed Nov 13 16:39:48 EST 2002

On Wed, 2002-11-13 at 14:20, Robert Brandtjen wrote:
> I have a dual P3 867 machine with 1 gig of ram and 64 meg GF3 ti-200
>
> 33.909554 / 123.192009 / 240.716949 fps         rand[1322223011]
> Score = 79.072098

Robert,

I get these sorts of scores with my dual Athlon 1200 and GF4 4600, and I
can't complain. In other words, is this bad enough really want to spend
now, or wait until you see what you need to run <ahem> that other game
that's coming out in a few months?

Of course, I can't complain, because I already spent $1000 replacing my
dual P3-600 and GF2 Ti. (My motherboard went bad, and I couldn't find
another dual slot-1 design that I wanted.) Anyway, I took a GF4 home
from work (from my dual Athlon 1800+ <g>) before deciding where to put
my money, and I got ZERO improvement. Swapping a video card is easy, and
it will let you know where you stand right away. (On Linux, you don't
even have to change your drivers around like with Windows. <bg>) Surely
you know someone with a GF4 that you could borrow?

The bottom line is that - even though you have a more-advanced version
of the P3 than I had - even your GF3 ought to be out-running them. If
it's one or the other, you ought to buy new chips. But it's certainly
the more expensive option. After all, replacing your chips means a new
mobo AND new memory as well.

Regards,
dk