[twilight-devel] data file location

Peter Jay Salzman p at dirac.org
Wed Feb 12 13:00:50 EST 2003

third party opinion, from someone who plays quake.

begin Forest 'LordHavoc' Hale <havoc at telefragged.com>
> Joseph Carter wrote:
> >On Sun, Feb 09, 2003 at 03:13:51AM -0800, Forest 'LordHavoc' Hale wrote:
> >

> >While this will work in win32, it is different from Linux where the
> >working directory is NEVER going to be suitable.  The goal was to make
> >them do the same thing so that we don't need:
>
> I see absolutely no sane reason to make them the same.

i whole heartedly agree.   it's aesthetically pleasing to have the same
behavior, but from a practical standpoint, there's really no sane reason
to do so.

> Nothing that complicated.  Also realize that packaged Linux versions
> won't ask anything (because their etc config already points to the right
> thing and thus it just starts up fine).

again, i'm completely in agreement.

> >I do not buy that Linux must be inherently more complex just because.  And
> >in case the user's shortcut is screwy, it is still necessary for the thing
> >to work sanely.  Again, I propose a cascade of tests beginning with an
> >environment variable and ending with asking the OS where the data files
> >should be.  I do not have the pseudocode in front of me now, but I can
> >provide it upon request.
>
> It is totally unreasonable to work with a broken shortcut, VERY few
> commercial games do!
>
> It is completely expected behavior by ALL windows users that a broken
> shortcut will NOT work!  Trying to work with a broken shortcut is
> COMPLETE INSANITY!

once again, i agree.

> Environment variable??  Why would someone have an environment variable
> set in the first place?  Many 'Linux gamers' don't even know what script
> to edit to make a permanent environment variable.  I don't even
> understand what you're proposing, it makes no sense.

agree somewhat.  it's nice to specify things via an environment
variable, but dot files are good too.

sometimes i feel like i have too many dot files, so an environment
variable is sometimes appreciated.

pete