gcc 2.95.3 problem with pr_exec.c - death message bug

Forest 'LordHavoc' Hale havoc at telefragged.com
Thu Nov 21 04:34:09 EST 2002

Mercury wanted me to post this to the list, so...

# no problems:
./configure CC=gcc-cvs --disable-werror
make clean
make
nq/twilight-nq -window +map e4m1
(run off and shoot the explosive box near the gold key door, at point blank)
btal[ef][f2][e4]h[e1][f6][ef][e3] blew up

# bug revealed:
havoc at thunder:~/twcvs/twilight > cd nq
havoc at thunder:~/twcvs/twilight/nq > gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I.
-I../include -I../include -I../src/image -I../src/renderer
-I../src/sound -Wall -Winline -Wcast-qual -Wsign-compare -W -g -O2
-fno-strict-aliasing -I/usr/include/SDL -D_REENTRANT -c pr_exec.c
havoc at thunder:~/twcvs/twilight/nq > cd ..
havoc at thunder:~/twcvs/twilight > make
nq/twilight-nq -window +map e4m1
(run off and shoot the explosive box near the gold key door, at point blank)
  blew up

This problem also happens exactly the same way in darkplaces.  Though
darkplaces often has much more bogus strings showing up than merely a
blank name.

It may not happen in qwsv, I have not checked...  qwsv uses a very
different approach to engine strings (like player names).

The gcc 2.95.3 bug occurs with or without optimizations in darkplaces
(proving it is not an optimizer bug).

--
LordHavoc
Author of DarkPlaces Quake1 engine and mod