[swbf] Linux patch

Michael Ressen netadmin at michiganburbs.com
Fri Sep 24 11:43:59 EDT 2004

I did a quick test of the Win server last nite.   The Win version required
DirectX 9, so it's obviously linked to some .dll's that are in the client,
who's other functions may or may not be required for Linux.

One of the Pandemic devs did post on LucasArts forums, but seeing their forum
is a joke, I doubt many people saw the message.   He did say they were working
on a linux port, however there were no other details.

On a note about the Win version, I was unable to join the server, even after
setting it up and running it, I could initiate connection which also showed in
the hokey server console, but my client was unable to load the map.   I tried
both net and lan configs, yet neither worked despite being on the same subnet,
with no firewall restrictions between me and the server.  I've since dumped
the Win version as it's so rediculous it's not worth the bother to even
attempt.    Also, no readme, no port information, and administration controls
or options make this one of the most half-assed dedicated servers ever.

I also tested several public servers running last nite, to get a feel for
gameplay on the win boxes.   Few were operating at advertised 50 player
configs, which I understand is the max, and/or with 32 bots per team.   I
gather the bandwidth required to do so is keeping many out of the game.   The
20 or so servers I joined, some with players and some without, all felt
jittery.   Bots seemed to move smoothly, however any players in the game
warped quite often, making it hard to get a bead on them.   Delayed reactions,
especially when sniping, made it tough for me to tell when I had actually hit
someone, as I'd notice them fall about the same time I shot a 2nd time.

The dedicated server needs to be stripped down to just the engine, maps, and
data I/O.   After we get that, and a Linux/BSD port, we can truly evaluate it.
Until then, I'll keep my BF42 servers running.

/BA
Michigan Burbs