SMPEG Leak (Cross Posting with SMPEG mailing list.)

Robert Diel robert at littlebitlost.com
Sun Jan 19 07:28:15 EST 2003

I am currently trying to locate a memory leak that was introduced in
version 0.4.0 of the SMPEG code, and has persisted into the current
0.4.5 pre-release code that is currently in the cvs archive.  smpeg
0.3.5 was the last version of code in which plaympeg didn't seem to be
leaking.  Specifically if you run plaympeg -l <mpeg>, and watch either
top or ps -avx you can see that each time the mpeg loops it gains a bit
of memory.  This is also true when an mpeg object is deleted after a
new.  I tried using valgrind, it didn't reveal anything useful.  It
actually didn't believe a leak existed.  However, watching DRS and RSS
rise in value through ps -avx, I think proves it wrong.

I am grasping at straws here, and am in need of some direction.  Can
anyone point me in the right direction.

Thank you,
Robert