[sdlsound] New Core Audio backend decoder

Eric Wing ewmailing at gmail.com
Sun Oct 24 02:54:48 EDT 2010

Hi all,
I have implemented a new decoder for SDL_sound using Core Audio which
I would like to share with everybody. I hope Ryan will include it into
the main distribution.

My repo can be found at:

The bulk of the new stuff is in coreaudio.c.

It works for both Mac OS X and iOS. Core Audio handles lots of
different file formats like aiff, aifc, wav, mp3, mp4, aac, sd2, au,
caf, 3gpp, 3gp2, ima, etc, so at least for Apple platforms we can
shrink the dependencies a bit. And on iOS, we also get an additional
potential benefit of hardware decoding for performance and battery

I also have a quick and dirty Xcode project in the files section at:

Beginning iPhone Games Development