[sdlsound] SDL_sound mixer ETA??

Kevin Rogovin kevin.rogovin at gmail.com
Thu May 29 07:12:35 EDT 2008

Hi,

 I looked at the source, it looks like you are using SDL_mixer to load
a music file and to play it.... I kind of wanted to get away from
SDL_mixer (or else fix it) because only module music can be loaded in
it via SDL_RWops structures, otherwise one needs the file... in what I
am writing, the files are all zip-compressed in archives, and I would
like to be able to feed  an SDL_RWops structure. SDL_image allows for
SDL_mixer for SDL_RWops is kind of sucky: WAV and module music only,
no mp3, no ogg, etc...  the only way I see right now to use SDL_mixer
and SDL_sound together is to load via SDL_sound, decode entire sample
in memory, then feed sample to SDL_mixer.... this is fine for sound
effects, but a real no go for music... music should be streamed from
source.... SDL_sound has support for decoding chunks at a time, so I
was hoping that a mixer for SDL_sound was ready and around, but the
one in SDL_Sound in SVN is only a skeleton now (I think the doc says
in SDL_Sound v2.0 it will come, but that might be a very long time) so
I was hoping that someone had already made a mixer for SDL_sound that
did not force one to decode the entire audio stream..... I am
considering hacking SDL_mixer to allow for an SDL_Sound element, but
before I start to do that, I'd like to make sure that it is really
necessary...

Best Regards

 -Kevin