SDL_sound v2's internal mixer format...

Ryan C. Gordon icculus at clutteredmind.org
Sat Aug 7 03:06:03 EDT 2004

I've been thinking about this, and it occurs to me that most games don't
have a huge problem with audio clipping at mix time, and if they do, no
one cares, so forcing everything to float32 isn't really worth it.

My thought is that we should use signed 16-bit ints on all platforms if
possible, regardless of the presence of an FPU.

I also think callbacks are on their own and should deal with whatever
format they are fed (which allows for later expansion to other formats
and prevents the need for conversion just for the callback).

Kinda bothers me that it has to be this way, since it adds complexity to
both the mixer and the application that wants to use callbacks, but I
really can't see a better solution to this.

--ryan.