[sdlsound] tremor and MAD?

Glenn Maynard g_sdl at zewt.org
Mon Jan 13 02:18:10 EST 2003

On Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 02:08:08AM -0500, Marc Lavallée wrote:
> Would it be possible to use the Tremor and MAD libraries in SDL_sound?
> It would boost the performance on StrongArm processors.

Check here for a MAD driver for SDL_sound (noting that MAD is GPL, so it
can only be used with GPL-compatible programs):

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/stepmania/stepmania/src/SDL_sound-1.0.0/decoders/madlib.c

Note that:

1. it'll take a little work to get this to run under stock SDL_sound
(it uses slightly changed entry points),

2. it makes no attempt to work on streams (but probably could with some
hacking),

3. it's not very well-tested; the program I'm using it with will be
going into testing soon.

A lot of the more complicated seeking logic could probably be ripped
out; the app I wrote it for needs separate fast and accurate seeks, but
these aren't supported in stock SDL_sound.

--
Glenn Maynard