Recent change in SDL_mixer's MikMod decoder

Torbjörn Andersson torbjorn.e.andersson at tietoenator.com
Mon Jan 7 10:28:35 EST 2002

Ryan C. Gordon wrote:

 > I'm a little nervous about MikMod's inability to decode two samples at
 > once.

I was hoping that the SDL_sound decoder would be able to work around any
such limitations since we only use MikMod to decode the audio, not to
play it. But I haven't tried it so I don't know if it works. I guess we
will be running into a few problems like that once the SDL_mixer rewrite
gets underway...

 > Someone recommended ModPlug to me, but I haven't had a change to
 > look any closer than that, so this is semi-useless information.

I was going to cite licensing problems and lack of library, but it
appears that this has changed recently. I just saw this on the ModPlug
XMMS Plugin page at http://modplug-xmms.sourceforge.net/

    + ModPlug rendering engine moved into a separate library --
      libmodplug created.
    + License changed to public domain

So what are the plans for allowing SDL_sound to have more than one
decoder for a particular type of sound? ;-)

Torbjörn