[sdlsound] SID decoder?

Ryan C. Gordon icculus at clutteredmind.org
Mon Feb 4 08:45:46 EST 2002

> Hmm... This seems like a good time to ask a question that has been
> nagging me for some time now: What happens when a library licensed under
> the LGPL (e.g. SDL_sound) depends on one that is licensed under the GPL
> (e.g. libsidplay)?
>
> I assume source distribution won't be a problem, but what about binaries?

libsidplay is under the GPL?

I take back what I said previously, then; I'm not interested in an
SDL_sound decoder for it.

I don't distribute binaries (because, honestly, it's a huge pain), but the
licenses just simply can't be combined,which makes it difficult for
distributions that would want to make SDL_sound RPMs, etc. It's
obnoxious...it's intentionally difficult, and I hate that.

I also hate libraries that are placed under the GPL; people forget very
quickly what the 'L' in "LGPL" used to stand for, I guess.

In short: don't send patches that rely on GPL'd code, unless the author of
libsidplay can be convinced to explicitly permit us to link to it (it
doesn't hurt to ask).

--ryan.